An intercom system provides a mode of communication between the visitors and residents. This helps verify the identity of the visitor remotely before they are allowed entry into the building. If you are thinking about installing an intercom system, you must rest assured that you are taking the right steps towards protecting and securing your home from theft and intruders. With this system installed you will be able to talk to the person at the door even before you open the door for them.
Types of intercom systems
Here are the five most commonly available systems and knowing about them will make it easier for you to choose one for your premises.
- Wireless unit: Wireless unit is a new avatar of the erstwhile hard-wired intercom system. The wireless unit uses a different radio frequency and is less expensive. It does not need an extensive installation, so you can just start using them right out of the box. Just keep in mind the range of the unit.
- Hard-wired unit: This is the most common option that can be mounted in the premises. Just by the press of a button you can communicate with someone at the other side of the door. This system costs a little more, but its more reliable in avoiding external interferences. A professional technician will help you with the installation.
- Video system: This is perfect for homeowners who want to see the visitor before they are allowed entry. They are usually wired systems. With latest smart technology enabled systems you can integrate a camera into your system and use a smartphone or another device to lock or unlock the door.
- Automatic entry unit: If you have many visitors and you hate leaving what you are doing to open the door, then this system should be your first choice. With a camera integrated system, you can see the visitor, speak to them and allow entry by unlocking the door.
- Carrier current system: This unit is integrated into the electrical system of the premises. It is easy to install and maintain, but you will see other options provide better quality.
How to choose an intercom device
To choose the most suitable system, a number of factors need to be considered. You can try list down answers to the below questions and then decide which system will best suit your needs.
- How many units will you need?
- Do you need an indoor or an outdoor device?
- Do you need an audio only or an audio video device?
- Do you want a wireless device?
- What are the aesthetics and size of the unit that you wish for?
- Do you want a system which is capable of unlocking and locking the door?
Here is a list of features that you can use while comparing the systems and models, so that you make the best choice within your budget and to suit your needs:
- Magnetic tamper switch
- Panic alarm button
- Customizable layouts, screens and themes
- Programmable welcome message
- Help button for activating video instruction
- Multiple language support
- Hands free capability
- Option to restrict elevator access
- Noise cancellation
The intercom system that you are going to purchase in an investment you will be making towards the safety and security of the premises. Therefore, the device needs to be easy to maintain and reliable. You must choose a reliable and trustworthy service provider as this is a matter of the safety of your home or office. A good professional will be able to advise you on the best model and system, while considering the various factors and your needs.